Friday, 6 February 2015

10 Things I Learned in High School



PS : We're pretending to do our homework hahaha


Where was I this past month? Oh you know, just starting college, making some new friends, meeting old ones, making memories and eating lots of mamak food. The usual.

Anyway, starting college has made me realise how much I miss high school and how simple it was. BUT I'm sure students that just started high school or middle school are feeling the same way. 

So, here are the 10 most important life saving (well, not really but it sounds cool so I'm leaving it in) tips and tricks I learned in high school!


 

One of the promises I made before I started high school was not to ever change. That didn't quite work out how I planned. You ARE going to change. And that's OK! 

 Change is hard and scary even. I find that fear of change is just human nature. Trust me, change is good. You're moulding into whoever you're going to be in the near future. 

You're becoming you. 
(too much?) 




  You're 13/14/15/16/17! Stop stressing! Go live! Explore, go outdoors, get off your phone! You've only got 5 years of high school, embrace the ups and downs and just live and pull through. High school is fun! 

  Get involved and meet new people. You will sacrifice but you will gain so much too. Live in the moment or don't! Don't submit to peer pressure. You don't have to do anything you don't want to do. Your better days are ahead of you! 



  OK so here's a more personal one. ( to me at least ) To cut it short, I was having a bit of 'guy trouble' and I wish someone had been there to tell me to let go. I blame Idina Menzel and Demi Lovato, you guys are 3 years too late. ( ha ha ) Anyway, from guy trouble to bad grades, you need to let go

You're better than that. 






  Sounds sick but this is the only way you're getting in good with your teachers. Suck up your pride and kiss ass! You're not gonna get anywhere by dissing on your teachers. Kissing up to them and pretending to be interested in their personal lives though? GOLD. 

Disclaimer : DO NOT DO ANYTHING MORALLY WRONG / ILLEGAL OK THAT IS NOT WHAT I'M IMPLYING


    
Look up and be positive! I know it sounds cheesy and weird but positive people do attracted better things in their live. For example, more people want to hang around more positive people! 

  Also, theres always a way  out of every problem you're in. Be optimistic! You'll get out of it. 

  I spent a whole year being glum and wanting to get out of school. Don't make that mistake. Appreciate what and who you have while you still have it/them. 


THIS IS SO IMPORTANT! 

  Don't put yourself down for failing that one math exam! If you do, that just gives other people permission to do it as well. So what if you failed? That doesn't make you stupid, it makes you smarter. Learn from your mistakes, prove to everyone what you're really capable of. 


I was in the top class when I was 16. It was the first time I'd ever failed an exam before. Since everyone in the top class was super 'kiasu' ( competitive ), they would all look down on me. Thank God I had great friends to help get me out of that rut. 

You are not your grades, you're so much better than they think you are. 




  I was teased A LOT in high school. Mostly by boys. It really got to me when I was 16. I felt depressed and I felt sick thinking I had to go to school and put myself through that again. Without the help of my friends, I honestly don't think I could've pulled through. 

  I don't really want to go into detail with this cause it is REALLY personal but I've been teased loads throughout my childhood and teenage years. I surrounded myself with sarcasm and jokes to fight back. Get your own self defence mechanism! This is really important. 

Unless you've never had this problem. Then, I'm very jealous. 
How do you do it? 


I had so many nights where I'd feel scared and alone. Guess what helped? Yes, music obviously. ( I feel like Dora HAHA ) 

I listen to A LOT of indie and alternative music. It makes me feel 100 times better! 

I honestly don't really like when people judge what  music is cool or not. That shouldn't matter. If you like pop music, then listen to pop music! If you like country, then listen to country music! 

Whatever makes you feel better is 'cool'. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise. 

Here's my feel good playlist : 

(soon to be uploaded!)




This is a very big deal to me. Friends are so important in school/college/work. Honestly, my high school experience would've sucked so bad without the right friends. 

 I'm a bit of a nomad. I had a completely different group of friends every year. I was looking for a sense of belonging. 

 In my senior year, I finally found it. And I'm so very glad I did. If you found yours from day 1, then you're SO LUCKY. 

If you haven't found it yet, don't worry, it's probably closer than you may think.



 Confidence is sexy. Im not joking. Confidence is key in life. Always wondered why that one popular girl always looks good ? She's confident as heck! 

 Build your confidence! How? Get out of your comfort zone! Pretend to be confident (?) ! 

You'll get the hang of it, and you'll never go back.



KEEP AN OPEN MIND! You are going to meet a lot of weird people and they are going to talk about a lot of weird things. Its fine. Listen with an open mind. Try not to judge. 

  This will help more than you think. Don't think that being open minded is the same as you being open to you doing all these weird things though because its not. You are your own person and you can do as you please. 


++++


This was really deep and personal for me but I hope if anyone does bother reading this, you learn something and it helps you! Good luck with the school year ahead! xx


No comments :

Post a Comment